• Includes current and renewed subject matter, project case studies from real world, and topic-specific sections on the impacts of biomass use for energy production from all sorts of biomass feedstocks including organic waste of all kinds.
• Provides a comprehensive overview and in-depth technical information of all possible bioenergy resources: solid (wood energy, grass energy, waste, and other biomass), liquid (biodiesel, algae biofuel, ethanol, waste to oils, etc.), and gaseous/electric (biogas, syngas, biopower, RNG), and cutting-edge topics such as advanced fuels.
• Integrates current state of art coverage on feedstocks, cost-effective conversion processes, biofuels economic analysis, environmental policy, and triple bottom line.
• Features quizzes for each section derived from the implementation of actual hands-on biofuel projects as part of service learning.
|About the Book
Bioenergy: Biomass to Biofuels and Waste to Energy, 2nd Edition presents a complete overview of the bioenergy value chain, from feedstock to end products. It examines current and emerging feedstocks and advanced processes and technologies enabling the development of all possible alternative energy sources. Divided into seven parts, bioenergy gives thorough consideration to topics such as feedstocks, biomass production and utilization, life-cycle analysis, energy return on invested, integrated sustainability assessments, conversions technologies, biofuels economics, business, and policy. In addition, contributions from leading industry professionals and academics, augmented by related service-learning case studies and quizzes, provide readers with a comprehensive resource that connect theory to real-world implementation.
Bioenergy: Biomass to Biofuels and Waste to Energy, 2nd Edition provides engineers, researchers, undergraduate and graduate students, and business professionals in the bioenergy field with valuable, practical information that can be applied to implementing renewable energy projects, choosing among competing feedstocks, technologies, and products. It also serves as a basic resource for civic leaders, economic development professionals, farmers, investors, fleet managers, and reporters interested in an organized introduction to the language, feedstocks, technologies, and products in the biobased renewable energy world.
Early career biomass professionals, including energy, chemical and agricultural engineers; food scientists; undergraduate and graduate students in Engineering and Agriculture
Part I Bioenergy - Biomass to Biofuels: an overview
Introduction to Bioenergy
2. Introduction to Biodiesel and Glossary of Terms
3. Bioenergy – Biomass to Biofuels Terms & Definitions
Part II Wood and Grass Biomass as Biofuels
4. Wood BioEnergy
5. Perennial Grass Biomass Production and Utilization
6. Wood and Grass Energy Service Learning Projects and Case Studies
Part III Biomass to Liquid Biofuels
7. Bioenergy Crops
8. On-Farm Oil-Based Biodiesel Production
9. Life Cycle Assessment: The Energy Return on Invested of Biodiesel
10. Energy management during field production practices
11. Straight Vegetable Oil as a Diesel Fuel?
12. Cellulosic Ethanol—Biofuel Beyond Corn
14. Advanced biofuel from algae biomass
15. Liquid Biofuels Service Learning Projects and Case Studies
Part IV Gaseous fuels and Bioelectricity
16. Thermal Gasification of Biomass – a Primer
17. Basics of Energy Production through Anaerobic Digestion of Livestock Manure
18. Bioenergy and Anaerobic Digestion
19. Gaseous fuels Service Learning Projects and Case Studies
Part V Conversion pathways for cost-effective biofuel production
20. Biodiesel Production
22. Whole Algal Biomass in situ Transesterification to Fatty Acid Methyl Esters as Biofuel Feedstocks
23. How Fuel Ethanol Is Made from Corn
24. Approaches for evaluating biomass bioconversion for fuels and chemicals
25. Reducing Enzyme Costs, Novel Combinations and Advantages of enzymes could lead to improved cost effective Biofuels Production
26. Pyrolysis of Lignocellulosic Biomass: Oil, Char, and Gas
27. Sustainable Aviation Biofuels - A Development and Deployment Success Model
28. Cutting Edge Biofuel Conversion Technologies to Integrate into Petroleum-based Infrastructure and Integrated Bio-Refineries
29. Fuel conversion Service Learning Projects and Case Studies
Part VI Biofuels Economics, Sustainability, Environmental and Policy
30. Biofuel Economics and Policy: The Renewable Fuel Standard the Blend Wall, and Future Uncertainties
31. Economics of Ethanol and Biodiesel
32. Fuel Quality Policy
33. Renewable Oil-heat
34. Biodiesel Emissions
35. Health Effects Testing
36. Biodiesel Sustainability Fact Sheet
37. Entrepreneurial Opportunities in Bioenergy
38. Integrated agro-ecological technology networks for food, bioenergy and bio-material production
Part VII Quizzes